Monday, April 29, 2013

Day 179 - The Russian Lifestyle

(Relaxing in the Russian Banya)

Day 179 - "Clair De Lune" Flight Facilities

A couple of winters ago I had stumbled upon an incredible Scandinavian spa in Montreal. I had never indulged in a "spa day" before and this was a true spa experience. Upon entering the Montreal spa no speaking was permitted, only very quiet whispers. There were various stations that were to be used in a certain order so your body would completely benefit from the treatment:

1) soaking in a giant slate hot tub with a beautiful waterfall
2) quickly dipping in a cold well of water OR taking a quick cold shower
3) stretching in a cozy steam room
4) quickly dipping in a cold well of water OR taking a quick cold shower
5) perspiring in a sweltering sauna
6) ingesting berries, nuts, smoothies and water
7) lying down in the lounge area
8) closing your eyes for a power nap

Rinse. Repeat. Relax.

As you can imagine I was elated to hear word of a Russian spa (also known as a Russian Banya) that had just opened in Calgary! I was quick to call the spa to make a booking. Sadly this proved to be a very difficult task as I am not Russian and immediately felt unworthy of dialling their number. The owner tried to explain to me that this spa was opened in Calgary for the "Russian Community" and that it will be very difficult to find a time for my friends and I to visit the spa. If only I would have put on a Russian accent maybe it would have been easier. But with my acting skills, any accent that I attempt sounds like I have just emerged from a Disney film in central London, England. I dare you to ask me to try any accent the next time you see me. ALAS! I managed to convince the owner to allow me a two hour booking at the Russian Banya after mentioning that it was a Russian friend that had recommended I try the banyas.

Upon arrival at the spa we were greeted by a lawn chair in the parking stall with a sign on it that said "for spa guests only" and a Russian man in his plaid pyjama pants (completely forgot to snap a photo of these hilarities). The spa consisted of two rooms; one had leather couches and a T.V. (where you could watch Russian concerts if you please) and the other room was where the sauna, cold tub, hot tub and showers were.
(chill room)

Russian Banya refers specifically to a sauna. Traditionally the Russian's would relax in a very hot sauna (93 degrees Celsius).
(Banya)

While hanging out in the sauna they would massage (basically hit or whip) each other with dried branches and leaves from oak or eucalyptus to improve circulation. They would then drench themselves in cold water or roll around naked in the snow to finish off the "first sweat". This would be repeated various times. 
(The cold well of water)

The owner suggested we strip down in the sauna to maximize the benefits of the heat and then to roll around in the snow in the nude as well. He assured us that there was an agreement with the neighbours to allow their patrons to run around naked in the closed off portion behind the spa...

(I opted out of the generous offer to roll around naked)

Ahhh what a relaxing day at the Russian Banya with my girlies. A million laughs were had as we let loose with the Russians. For an entertaining and rejuvenating afternoon, I suggest the Oak Leaf Club in Calgary! Tip: while booking, mention that a Russian friend recommended you check this place out.

(Bath time!)

There is nothing like a Russian banya and bath on a wintery cold afternoon, squeeze in girls!

xox


No comments:

Post a Comment