Monday, April 1, 2013

Day 183 - Sweet Tooth

Day 183 - "Scheeks" Liftboi 

I've recently become infatuated with wanting to know how my sugary treats have been created. I have acquired my sweet tooth from my dad (along with my artistic side). There are the occasional evenings where I can't bring myself to eat a savoury meal because my mind is craving one thing only...sugar! During these evenings I will have cereal, fruit, french toast, cookies and/or cake for dinner. It always varies depending on the level of sugar craving that I am experiencing in that moment.

In my most recent trip to Banff with my sister and her husband, we had stopped off at The Fudgery. I had purchased a chocolate haystack and Danielle a giant soft caramel. Smash the two together and you get:

I have eaten both soft and hard caramels but the soft caramels have a special place in my heart. I placed the challenge upon myself to create my own caramels! I gathered my ingredients and I was off to the races.


My youngest sister Katelyn suggested I use her very flavourful and imported Vanilla from Mexico:


I started off with the corn syrup:

I watched it boil with sugar:

I mixed in the cream and butter:

I watched it boil again, the craters are so neat:

Then as soon as it reached it's final temperature, I quickly poured it into a pan!

And voila! A few hours after setting, I chopped up the caramel into small little candies. 

They were so soft and sugary. I handed them out to friends and family and in return I received kind compliments on my treats! They are already asking for more goodies. Hmmm this candy making and baking has intrigued me further....what shall I make next? I'm thinking chocolate truffles...

Now it's time to try and sleep after devouring grams and grams of sugar. Sweet dreams :)

xox

No comments:

Post a Comment