Sunday, March 17, 2013

Day 191 - The Wonder Emporium


Day 191 - "Hold Yuh" Major Lazer & La Roux

Tonight was one of those nights where no words can accurately portray the picture of the events. After meeting the guys from the band Violence, they suggested a few local shows and venues for me to check out to potentially photograph. I managed to convince Amanda and Helen to join the adventure and off we went to The Wonder Emporium.

The Emporium is an indoor skateboarding park and they were hosting five bands for $5. I was told the bands would be AMAZING...at the end of the night amazing wouldn't be my first adjective of choice! We only stayed for one band and they sounded like monkeys bashing instruments. The "lead singer" tossed himself into the crowd but landed on the ground and ended up with a gash on his forehead. He climbed back on stage, blood running down his face and continued to shout his lyrics.

Unfortunately I had missed this action as I was photographing the skateboarders in park. I was enthralled by sitting at the bottom of the skateboard ramp and capturing close up photos of the skaters. There were some very talented skaters but even the most experienced skaters loose their balance. I was quickly reminded why I don't take pleasure in watching this sport. I was also very lucky that I didn't end up getting hurt in my photographing process as they were flipping their boards right in front my face! The positions photographers put themselves in to capture a fascinating photo will make an audience cringe (but regardless they always enjoy the photos).



Extreme sports photography very well could be an up and coming series of photos after reviewing the wicked angles that I was able to capture tonight. Although the next time I photograph skateboarders I will probably head over to Millennium the outdoor skatepark, primarily to avoid the dangerous bands at The Wonder Emporium.


xox

No comments:

Post a Comment