Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Day 194 - Craze-iness


(Self portrait of planking)

Day 194 - "Thirteen Thirtyfive" Dillon

There are a variety of crazes that pop up every month and I applaud the creators of these trends for being so innovative. Although I applaud these artists, I don't necessarily agree with their trendy ideas.  The most recent crazes that I have come across are quite bizarre. A couple examples are:

Bagel head which is a temporary (6 to 24 hour) swelling distortion of the forehead created by a saline drip and often shaped to resemble a bagel or doughnut...this is quite popular in Japan!
(Yuck!)
 
The Harlen Shake - a flash mob trend to the song created by a DJ called Baauer. Personally I do not find this very entertaining!

Dyeing pets to look like exotic animals - this craze began in China a few years ago, an easy way to have a pet tiger!
 (Cute!)
 
The most interesting craze that has caught my photographic eye is planking. Planking is a game where the participant lies face down in unusual locations, keeping the hands along the body and the feet outstretched. When this plank-like position is achieved, a photo is taken and then posted to the Internet. People have been photographed planking in difficult positions and exotic locations. It’s also known as the lying down game. I challenged myself to this craze and I started to photograph my friends in the planking position. To my surprise a lot of people were very excited to help me with this odd portrait series. I had started taking this photos a few years ago but had lost track of this series (I tend to lose track of my hobbies and interests because there are so many to remember!). Alas! I started up the series once again. Perhaps as I begin to snap planking photos it will inspire a personal photographic trend within me. 

xox

No comments:

Post a Comment