Monday, March 11, 2013

Day 195 - Inevitably Destined

(Grad photo from Dental Assisting...I never was a fan of "school pictures")

Day 195 - "Medicine" Daughter

I believe the path of our life is a combination of personal decision making along with fate. Recently I had the conversation about the role that fate plays in our lives to bring us to where we are right now. I enjoy thinking back to the points in my life where fate had presented it's opportunities to me. Ultimately it comes down to making the decision of whether or not the presented fate is what your heart desires. There are always many people you can credit for each step that you have taken on your path. Thinking about all of the people and events involved is similar to creating a family tree. As each person is introduced into your journey, a new generation and a new life is born.

When I graduated from high school I wasn't sure what I wanted to study so I decided to take a basic business course at the local college. My mom didn't want me to be working while going to school because she really wanted me to focus on my studies. She and my dad gave me $1000 to budget and use towards entertainment for the school year. This $1000 is how I ended up where I am right now.

I took that money and went to the snowboard shop NBS on Main Street and bought myself a complete set up in snowboard gear. I started making monthly trips out to the mountains with the guys who were going snowboarding. As a result of these expensive trips, I had to get a waitressing job. On a couple snowboarding trip we crashed at a friend's place in Banff and I was convinced that Banff was the place to be.

A girl friend from Moose Jaw and I ran away to Banff and we lived the snowboarding life for a year.

(Bear tracking in Banff, I was the tracker!)

While there I met an Englishman and then moved to England for two years. I lived the life of a backpacking traveller for those years, travelling across western Europe in both summer and winter. I managed to save enough money for a couple trips to South Africa before moving back to Canada. All of this travelling and living penny to penny encouraged me to explore further education.

I decided to resume my studies and completed the dental assisting course in Regina. After I graduated I was visiting another friend in Banff. She asked me what I was going to do next with my life...I had no answer for her but she had an answer for me. Her sister in Calgary worked in a dental office and they were hiring.

Two weeks later I moved to Calgary. It seemed to be for no apparent reason other than a job...but to me it was fate. Again I was listening to what the world had to offer to me, just as I have done every year since I graduated. I told myself that I would only stay for one year because I wanted to start travelling again.

Five years later here I am! My life in Calgary has been a crazy roller coaster with many smiles and  occasional tears but mostly amazing adventures along with incredible people. Every day I continue to listen to the words of fate and trust the instinct of my heart. Recently my life has been drastically changing and it seems this way ever since I started listening more intently to fate's guidance and taking a chance...
(A top the Calgary Tower)

"We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark, the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light." Plato

What excitement will tomorrow bring??

xox

P.S. Thank you mom&dad for helping me in more ways that the monetary gift to get me to where I am! Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment