Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Day 204 - Keeping Farrah Alive

(Powder Pirates, 2011)

Day 204 - "Hot Mess" by Chromeo feat. La Roux

Farrah was on my mind all day today as this evening I attended the orientation to begin volunteering at her last workplace CNIB. I have never worked with any visually impaired people nor am I close with any person who suffers from vision loss. The orientation began with the brief story about how CNIB was founded in 1918 to aid veterans returning home blind from World War I. Prior to CNIB there were no organizations nor programs in place to assist the blind veterans. I learned about the different types of eye conditions and how the majority of visually impaired people still have some of their sight, but it's very minimal. As an exercise they blindfolded us and we had a guided walk around the building, even up and down stairs, with no sight...just our balance and grasping the arm of our guide. It took a lot to hold myself back from crying for two reasons:
1) I CHERISH BEING ABLE TO SEE and 2) damn you Farrah, I miss you and your crazy antics.


Reflection: Think about this morning while you were pouring yourself a cup of coffee or tea and while pouring you are staring at the mug...pouring slowly until the liquid has reached the brim of the mug. Now think about (don't do) doing the same action but with your eyes closed. Welcome to one small part of living life with a visual impairment. I was taught just a few things about independent living for the visually impaired during the orientation and I am looking forward to learning more in order to really be of assistance in this volunteer role. 


xox



No comments:

Post a Comment