Sunday, February 24, 2013

Day 207 - Knowledge is Life Saving


Day 207 - "Say It's Possible" by Terra Naomi

Knowledge is Power life saving.

I work in a few dental offices in Calgary and each office is unique in it's own way. I have learned so much from each office, especially from the dentists. Living Well Dental is one offices that I work at and through a holistic approach and they evaluate your overall health, not just your teeth.

While I was working at another dental office, a new patient told me she was very concerned because she felt that any type of dental material that went into her mouth made her very ill. She just had a temporary crown placed in her mouth and her faced became swollen as a result of this. Her dentist (I'm not sure the name of this dentist) advised her that she would be fine once the permanent crown was cemented in. She was terrified as she thought "what if I'm allergic to the permanent cement and I react even more!". She decided to seek out a second opinion before having her dentist complete her dental work. I felt so lucky that she shared her story with me because I actually had an answer for her. I couldn't wait to shout out Dr. Robertson,  you need to see Dr. Robertson! I went into detail about a process called called biocompatibility testing. With this testing she can have her  blood tested against all dental materials to find out which ones she is allergic to and her dentist can avoid using those materials. She was more than grateful that she, by chance, spoke to me about her dental concerns because she has been looking for answers and no one seemed to have one for her...not even her own dentist at the time. After she saw Dr. Robertson she told me "you saved my life"...those are powerful words. I realize I didn't save her life but I definitely helped improve her health by guiding her to the right dentist. Now her dentist is Dr. Robertson and she is very happy and very healthy because she is in good hands.

It's a good day today. Helping others and reflecting on those lifting experiences makes a person happier. A long time ago my mom had this sheet of paper posted on our fridge that said "every day do three good deeds that go unnoticed", basically do three good deeds and do them to help others, not to feel good about doing the deed. That's a tough challenge, but one to keep in mind.

Remember...brush and floss everyday!

xox

No comments:

Post a Comment