Thursday, February 28, 2013

Day 203 - Early Retirement

("Lolita" February 2013 by Jenn Arguin)

Day 203 - "Zungguzungguguzungguzen" by Yellowman

I am amongst the many people who dream about winning the lottery and an early retirement. I wouldn't necessarily say that I want to retire, I merely want to have the freedom to what I please with every single one of my days. There are a few books that people have recommended that I read to reach my goals ("The Wealthy Barber" by David Chilton and "The 4 Hour Work Week" by Tim Ferriss). They have been on my list of books to read for a few years as there are too many good books to read. I rarely read because I am busy running around like a crazy person engaging in my amusing adventures. There is so much to do in so little time (202 more days)!

For the first time I sat down with a financial advisor and actually discussed saving money for retirement. I have been living my life very freely and taking every day as it comes while never really preparing for the long term future. It seems so far away and I am the type of person who thrives by enjoying life right now. I received a lot of good advice from my advisor but I thought I would do some quick calculations on my own. I figure I need to save approximately $1.8 million to retire by the time I am 50 years old. I broke it down to map out where this $1.8 million is going to come from. I am hoping my property  increases in value and will be paid off by the time I am 50 plus the increase in value (about 1/4 of my retirement fund)...I plan to sell a ton of my art work (another 1/4 of my retirement fund)...hmmm personal savings from various methods of employment (another 1/4 of my retirement fund)...and of course my secret project that I have only told my closest friends about (definitely 1/4 if not 1/2 of my retirement fund). Perfect! My retirement fund is set up beautifully.

Now back to painting...

xox

1 comment:

  1. I’m the type of person who stresses out about money and financial planning now so I can live comfortably for when I finally decide to retire. If only the divine powers that decide who wins the lottery can rain some luck down on me, I wouldn’t have to stress as much. Kidding aside, I’m curious as to what kind of advice your financial advisor gave you.

    Fermina Dazey

    ReplyDelete