Thursday, February 14, 2013

Day 217 - Gorilla House LIVE ART

Day 217 - "Hits Me Like a Rock" by CSS

This is a story about a fascinating art studio and art gallery in Calgary. It's called Gorilla House and every Wednesday night they have a LIVE ART studio.
On this day of the week artists of all kinds (painting, drawing, spray painting, etc) gather and create art in each others creative presence! At 7pm the host of the studio spins a wheel and three different topics are chosen.

The artists choose a topic and try to create a piece of art based on this topic. While the artists are at work the doors are open to the public to walk through the giant studio and watch the artists create their masterpieces. At 9pm an auction is held and all of the work completed that night is auctioned off. Half of the profit is returned to the artist and the other half of the profit goes towards keeping Gorilla House alive. I only recently discovered this studio and love the concept! I have never painted under time pressure before but I am quite content with my end results. Here are a few photos showing the progression of my painting:


 TA DA!!
May I introduce you to "Digital Funk". Can you guess which topic from the wheel I chose as my inspiration?

Calvin and Hobbs - Calvin bathing in an upside down umbrella


This YouTube clip gives you an example of how the evening usually progresses: Gorilla House Live Art - 26
Digital Funk sold fast in the auction and I will definitely be back for another challenge.

xox

P.S. Thank you to Renee and Cortney for being there for me that night.




No comments:

Post a Comment