Monday, February 4, 2013

Day 226 - To Ink or not to Ink


Day 226 - "In for the Kill" by La Roux

5. A New Tattoo (not crossed off yet!)

As per usual, after a piercing(s) my mind wanders to ink and the amazing art that a human body can display. I am more infatuated with tattoos than piercings yet I have more piercings that tattoos.  If you know me well then you know why it's been nine years since I've been inked...and that is a painful story.

My first tattoo was a Japanese symbol on the back of my neck representing courage. I had this tattoo done when I was in grade 12, right before graduation and of course without my parents consent. I was, without a doubt, the rebellious child of the family and my parents told me that we were not allowed piercings or tattoos before the age of 18. Needless to say I had my belly pierced at 16 and a tattoo by 17... I am smiling like a devil right now while thinking back to those occasions. I believe I chose the symbol courage because I wasn't sure if I would make it out alive after my parents saw my new personal art work. Tattoo number two was done in the same year after I turned 18 and that tattoo is the definition of pain in my life. The last tattoo, tattoo number three, consists of two beautiful pink hibiscus flowers which I adore.

To make the story short for tattoo number two...I had always felt like a very independent individual. I always did/do everything the hard way and try to not rely on anyone else, let alone a man. So naturally I had my last name tattooed on my back in the form of "Ms. Arguin" to state that "I shall retain my maiden name and not take on a man's!". Ah, I regretted this tattoo very soon after. Not only because it was a bit crooked but because it was a stupid tattoo idea on my part. C'est la vie. Once I began my career about six years later and had a few extra spending dollars I began the painful process of laser tattoo removal (the video attached is not my tattoo but just an example of the process). I am sweating bullets right now and feel nauseous just watching the first ten seconds of that video. Thinking back to my first session I can still smell my burning skin and feel the laser cutting into my skin like a very hot knife...and then I passed out cold on the floor...and then went back eight more times only to STILL have the darn tattoo on my back. Over $1000 later I gave up. I have a faded tattoo on my back and an amazing idea in mind for a new tattoo to cover it. Unlike Ms. Arguin I have been thinking about this piece for more than one week.

To ink or not to ink? My answer is TO INK!

Sweet dreams.
xox

No comments:

Post a Comment