Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Day 211 - Musical Elegance

(First guitar, my air guitar)

Day 211 - "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" By Taylor Swift (Acoustic Version)

For the first time in my life I finally had a guitar lesson! I have been procrastinating this journey for too many years. Truthfully two things that were holding me back from attempting to learn were; I've never thought myself to be very musical person and the guitar looked like a very difficult instrument to learn. Then again before I moved to Calgary I had never thought myself to be an "artsy" person and the next thing you know I'm an abstract artist and photographer. When I first bought a blank canvas and paint I had no idea what type of poetic elegance would be emerging from my fingers. Lo and behold is the first painting that motivated me to keep on composing:

("Pura Vida" 2010 by: Jenn Arguin)

I had a similar feeling of the blank canvas with brush in hand when I picked up my guitar and pick for my first lesson. Learning chords on the guitar is definitely more difficult than painting colours onto a canvas. After a bit of instruction I had a huge grin on my face because I had I nailed a my chords. I can proudly say that I know how to read and play the chords to my first song! My instructor had asked me what song I wanted to learn and naturally I said anything by Taylor Swift. He surprisingly knew one song to teach me and incidentally it was the song listed above "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together".  I am not quite able to play at the appropriate speed of the song as my poor fingers are still learning how to maneuver themselves on the strings and between the frets.

Patience grasshopper, I still have four weeks before I see my nieces again :)

xox

No comments:

Post a Comment